Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Mets must grind as Yankees continue transition.

After a day off on Monday for both the Mets and Yankees NY baseball gets back to the action tonight. Last week both teams met up for the 2016 subway series where they splits the 4 games.

For the Mets it was another losing week in which they went 3-4 as haven't won 2 in a row in over a month. At the moment the Mets are in 3rd place in the division, 9 games back, and 1.5 games back of the final WC spot as they try to catch up to the Miami Marlins and the Cardinals who are in front of the Mets in the WC standings.

This week they get things started with 3 with the Diamondbacks and 3 more with the Padres all at home. The Mets need to get back to winning this week cause beginning next Monday they start a 10 game road trip that starts in Arizona, moves to SF for 4 games, and ends in St. Louis.

It's been a tough stretch for the Mets with all the injuries but they have to find ways to grind and win games and it needs to start tonight as they try to make it 2 in a row.

As for the NY Yankees they are coming off a week in which they loaded up on prospects and turned the page towards the future as the team is in total transition for the 1st time in 20 some years. The transitional fase has continue with Mark Teixiera announcing his retirement at the end of the year, and a few days later the Yankees cut ties with AROD.

The writing has been on the wall for weeks and on Sunday the stage was set for the big announcement and there was AROD at the podium letting everyone know that this was going to be his last week in pinstripes and as a ML baseball player.

The Yankees and AROD came up with a respectable agreement instead of just simply cutting him they were able to give him a soft landing and a final week as a Yankee. So on Friday it's bye bye Alex Rodriguez.

So starting tonight the beginning of the end of AROD begins tonight in Boston so expect some boos to be heard if AROD does gets any at-bats. Alex Rodriguez has been riding the pine for what seems like a month now but what I expect this week is for AROD to get his final day on Friday.

I guess this is the best alternative and so we will have all week to see how all this drama unfolds.



9 comments:

RN said...

Well, not a good start for both teams this week. Mets drop another one and loss a game to the Marlins and Pirates but I'm still not worried about the Mets. They'll make the playoffs, the NL isn't very strong, the teams that they are competing with as good as them, the Mets should get Cespedes back in time for the stretch run and when you pair him up with Bruce that'll be a pretty bad ass middle of your line up and most importantly they have a cup cake schedule.
As for the Yankees this whole ARod thing has been a mess, I just want this week to be over already so they can move on. For the first time in a long time, I'm feeling optimistic about the future of the team.
Let's see how this week unfolds for both teams. No shortage of drama in NYC.

freddie vargas said...

Just notice, Mets and Yanks have the same 57-56 record, if the Yanks end with a better record than the Mets, that would have to be a colossal failure. Look man just I hope you're right, I like to be as optimistic as you are about the Mets but I just think this may be their year. This week no Asdrubal Cabrera and that's another injury and that way too many, I like the idea of pair Cespedes and Bruce but in the end, the injuries, and the fact that both Conforto and d'Anaud have had setback are just killing the Mets. Colon goes 7 with no runs and the still Mets lose, not good.

Saw the kid Sanchez hit a long one, I heard Ron Darling say that he reminds him of Albert Pujols in his batting stance and physically, so far kid looks like a hitter. Why did the Yanks send down Severino? I saw he didn't have a good start but that's BS.

AROD hahaha, I knew that guy was no good when he came over in 2003, remember AROD was the straw the broke my alliance with the Yankees so you already know what I think about that guy, but here's the thing, the Yankees made that mistake twice with AROD when they re-negotiated that ridiculous contract. Makes sense that it has to end this way. AROD is like Donald Trump, it's a circus.

RN said...

Well, just saw that the Mets got shut out by Arizona, a sweep at home by a last place team? Man that is not good, truly a low point for this team. They have the lowly Padres coming up, they need to get back on track or this could get really really ugly.

Oh man, Sanchez crushed that ball last night. I'm liking this kid, he can hit and he's not bad behind the plate. I wonder if he could be the catcher for team DR next year, although if he's going to be the Yankees #1 catcher next year I doubt that they'll let him play. As for Severino, my guess is that he'll take Eovoldi's place.

Yeah, when ARod opted out in 2007 the Yankees should have followed Cashman's advice and let him go but Steinbrenner gave him that ridiculous contract. Yes, the Yankees got a World Series out of it but man that was a high price to pay. Oh well, it'll be over tomorrow.

freddie vargas said...

Yea my dude, i don't know what you be seeing in the Mets of late but they just don't have it this year, swept at home and I saw some bickering between players that I haven't seen, Noah showed some emotion when Bruce could not make a play today so from what I've seen I think this team is coming apart from the seams.

Yea from what I've so far Sanchez looks like a player, doubt the Yankees let him play for DR. I'll give you Wheeler and d'Arnuad for Sanchez take it or leave it. LOL

I wonder how Yankee fans are going to serenade AROD tomorrow.

RN said...

Yeah, I think you might be right...I think this might not be the year for the Mets. I'm curious to see how they bounce back after getting swept and Collins' post game outburst. I still think they can compete for a spot, they just have to hang around until they can get Cespedes and Reyes back.

Nice win by the Yankees last night, I think Alex will get a big ovation tonight.

Man, if you had told me in April that on August 12th the Yankees would have a better record than the Mets I would have called you crazy.

Oh, as for you trade proposal, I'll leave it.

freddie vargas said...

Yea I am going to try and stay optimistic until Reyes and Cespedes come back but I think it may be too late and it won't make a difference. The way the season has played out, this is just one of those years where everything just goes wrong.

I wonder if they will have a video tribute? I say yes, you think AROD signs with someone else? I say he will.

That's baseball for you, you can never predict the outcome when it comes to baseball, there is always a surprise. Yanks currently have a better record than the Mets WOW. Yanks playing better after all the moves.

RN said...

It does seem like everything has gone wrong with the Mets this year but they're only 3 games out of the wild card.

Oh yeah, they'll do the whole dog and pony show tonight. I don't know if he signs with anyone else, if the Marlins were in AL team I could totally see it but I don't know that an AL team would have a spot for him, maybe Tampa.

Yeah, I wonder what would have been had the Yankees not gotten off to that terrible start in April. Oh well, at least the last 6 weeks could be fun.

freddie vargas said...

That's the only good thing about the Mets, that their only 3 games out of a playoff spot, but like I said b4, the Mets haven't won back to back games in over a month.

I going to predict this, AROD will take the rest of the year off, but next year he sign and play with someone.

If the Yankees would had gotten to a good start you would have had the same old Yankees. The bad start was a good thing man.

RN said...

We'll see, I just can't see a team taking Alex at this point. Next year he'll be older and he can only DH but I can see him trying to get to 700 homers.

True, that is a good point. No youth movement with a great start by the team so for the greater good, I'm fine with how things have gone.