Thursday, August 25, 2016

Mets fading as Gary Sanchez shines

So it took a few days but here we are again with another post, better late than never.

This week I start with the Yankees as the Baby Bombers continue to provide excitement in Yankee land. Yes the NY Yankees are not only rebuilding but are also winning in the process as they maintain close in the standings for that final WC spot.

But the real story has been the play of Gary Sanchez who has come out swinging to start his major league career. Yes Gary Sanchez is turning some heads and has already become a major player in a short period.

I understand it's a small sample but from what I have seen so far the kid is the real deal and is only going to get better. In that short period Gary Sanchez has hit 9 HR's in only 19 games and has taken over as the #1 catcher and is already batting 3rd in the Yankee lineup.

There will be some adjustment when pitchers begin to figure him out but Gary Sanchez has made a major impact when it comes to his role on the team and the future of the Yankees going forward and it's not only his hitting that has impress but behind the plate he has also taken charge defensively as well. The kids has the tools and seems to know what it takes to become one of the best so Yankees fans have to be giddy over Gary Sanchez start to his Yankee career.

The Yankees will most likely fall short on making the WC due their pitching but this product right now on the field is at least promising and a lot more fun to watch.

For now it's all about growth with the NY Yankees as they contend for a WC.

Now on to the Mets...

What can I say about my Mets? Well it has been a tough year for the Mets who this season came in with some high expectations but it just hasn't worked out as plan in 2016.

With some 37 games left to the season, the Mets find themselves at 63-63, 4.5 games out of a WC.

At the moment the NY Yankees have a better record than the Mets at 65-61 and they are rebuilding so that should tell you all you need to know.

This week some important players were able to come back from the DL so there is some hope going forward, Jose Reyes, Asdrubal Cabrerra, and more importantly Yeonis Cespedes all came back this weekend to help the Mets win on Saturday and Sunday and get them back at 500 but now the starting pitching which has been the Mets strong point the entire season has now taken a hit. Steven Matz is now on the DL and the Mets now have Seth Lugo and Robert Gsellman in the rotation while Jacob deGrom and Noah Syndergaard have looked pretty average of late.

Yup the Mets and the Yankees still have a chance for the WC spot and we as NY baseball fans will have an interesting month of September as we follow our baseball teams chances down the stretch run.


Alejandro De Aza homers and it's a dance off with Jose Reyes 


4 comments:

RN said...

Well, what I can say about Sanchez? Really looks like the real deal. His line so far in tonight's game - 3-5, 1 HR, 4 RBIs and 3 Runs. Everyone, and rightfully so, is paying attention to his offensive numbers but he's also good behind the plate and will continue to get better. This is a really exciting time for my beloved Bronx Bombers. Since the trade deadline when the Yankees were supposed to go into the tank they are 5-1-1 in the 7 series they have played and had a rain delay not messed things up they should be 6-0-1 but its that the young kids are really playing a big part, we're seeing contributions from everyone and the experience that these kids are getting is really invaluable. You know, for the last couple of years I've been trying to tell you that the Yankees are changing their ways and you were really skeptical, and you had a right to be but now we're starting to see the fruits of this and what is really exciting is that this is really the 1st wave. I was thinking back to 2 trades that Cashman made that a lot of people really disliked at that time, the trade for Didi and when the Yankees traded Justin Wilson to the Tigers for Luis Cessa and Chad Green for Justin Wilson. I don't think the Yankees will make the playoffs, they're playing great but they have too many teams to jump over. I'm very optimistic about the future.
As for the Mets, I'm not sure what to think. Everytime I think they're out they come back to life. The pitching injuries are really going to hurt them but I still think they find a way to sneak into the playoffs.
Yup, its going to be a fun September for NY Baseball.

On another note, they announced the venues and dates for the WBC next March. DR is playing in the same group as the USA and Canada. Manny Machado has already signed on to play 3rd for team DR. I'm sure we'll cover this more as it gets closer and DR tries to defend their title.

freddie vargas said...

Man Sanchez again tonight, what a freaking start, every time I look there goes another one, has anyone started their career like this? You know he will cool off but man what a start, right now it's all about Gary Sanchez.

Yea I didn't think the Yankees were going to actually do what they did but they did moved on and look at them now, they just were the last to jump ship but I guess better late than never.

Yea I was about to give up on the Mets last week and than they win a few and wheel me in again, the starting pitching is looking a bit scary but now the offense has picked up with Reyes, Cabrerra and Cespedes back in the lineup. I think the Mets have a better shot than the Yankees cause the Yanks have so many teams too jump over, plus the Mets schedule that you pointed out should help the Mets. We will see.

Was it you that told me that Manny Machado is Dominican? I didn't think that was true. Cool that he has join to represent, now we need Gary Sanchez to do the catching.

RN said...

Another game, another home run for Sanchez.
I don't know why you kept refusing to believe it, I kept telling you that was they were going to do and you know I follow this team pretty closely.
Yes, I was telling that Machado is Dominican and you didn't believe me. I would love to see Sanchez be the catcher of the team but I doubt it'll happen. Next spring training is going to be too important for him to take time off like that.

freddie vargas said...

Man this is getting rather comical, you know I was looking up his numbers in the minors and Sanchez never hit more than 18 HR, he's going to be a good player but this start to his career is out of this world.

And about the Yankees actually moving forward, well you understand why I didn't believe it since they haven't done it in 2 decades I figure it will be the same old as usual but I guess after 2 decades things done changed and the Yankees had to move on with the times and in 2016 they finally did. Like I said the Yankees were late to the movement but better late than never.