Monday, September 5, 2016

Mets continue fight, and the Yanks have it tough.


The NY Mets have always shown some fight under the guidance of Terry Collins and last night was no difference as the Mets got another strong outing from Seth Lugo who went for 7 innings of 1 run ball for his 3rd career win. With the win the Mets were able to take the series over the Nationals and stay within a game for the final WC spot.

The offense was provided by Curtis Granderson who drove in 3, including a 2 run HR and Jay Bruce 2 run blast gave the Mets some separation for the 5-1 win. The 2 slumping vets who have struggled mightily have begun to shown signs of turning things around just in time for the stretch run and the much needed production from the Grandy Man and Bruce could not have come at a better time.

The Mets went 5-2 and were able to take advantage of WC contenders, the Pirates, Marlins, Giants and Cardinals who all struggled this past week.

But not all was good for the Mets this week as we learned that Neil Walker will be out for the rest of the season, and we also saw Jacob deGROM get rough up by the Cardinals after taking some time off and missing his last start. Now deGrom will now miss his 2 next starts as the injuries continue to be the theme for the Mets. But some how the Mets still got things done this week thanks to guys like Robert Gsellman who I think has what it takes to be the next starter to come up the pipeline and stick and guys like Josh Smoker and Seth Lugo who have all come up and been more than serviceable. The Mets also got a nice outing this week by Rafael Montero and right now the Mets rotation looks like this...

1-Syndergaard
2-Colon
3-Gsellman
4-Lugo
5-Montero

As you can see this is far from Harvey, Matz, deGROM and Wheeler but it is what it it, next man up!

It won't be easy going forward but if the Mets do have an advantage it's their easy schedule that might save them. The Mets have 8 more series remaining in the season and 7 of those are with teams who really suck. They have 6 more with the Braves, 7 with the Phillies, 3 with the Reds, 3 with the Twins, 3 with the Marlins, and 3 with the Nationals who are the only 500 ball club at the
moment.

As you can see the Mets have some real cream puffs.

The Mets arrived in Cincinnati at 3 in the morning last night and must play later today at 1 so I don't expect Cespedes or Cabrerra to be in the lineup today. Like I said it won't be easy but this is September baseball and if the Mets want to play well into October this is what it's going to takes to get it done.

As for the NY Yankees, their chances took a bit of a hit this pass week as the Baltimore Orioles took 2 out of 3 as the Yanks avoided the sweep yesterday which would had put them at 5.5 games out.
With the win the Yankees stay within striking distant 3.5 games out, but going forward will not be easy for them as it is for the Mets.

The Yankees schedule looks like this...
7 with the Blue Jays
7 with the Rays
7 with the Red Sox
3 with the Dodgers
3 with the Orioles

As you can see things will be a lot tougher for the Yankees who still have to jump several teams who are in front of them for the final AL WC spot.

The chances don't look to good for the Yankees but if they can continue to compete and stay in it until the final series with the Orioles, what more can you ask for a team that is rebuilding?



12 comments:

Unknown said...

Big series win for the Mets. Have to give them credit, a lot of teams would have packed it up with all the injuries but they still find a way to get it done. Now they get into the really easy part of the schedule but some of these games can be landmines because the teams with nothing to play for sometimes are the hardest out.
As for the Yankees, as a true die-hard and I like to think, rational fan of this team I could not be happier. Yeah, they'll probably not make it to the playoffs but like I've been saying as long as they stay competitive and play some meaningful games, the experience that these kids are getting is immeasurable. Like I said before, what team you ever seen be sellers at the deadline and then get better? That never happens, until now. I'm just enjoying the ride.

freddie vargas said...

Yea that is why I don't like playing these bad teams that have nothing to play for, they have no pressure and all they have to play for is to be spoilers. Still I'll take it.

Yea the Yanks should had been out of it but the youngsters have energized this team so you have to give them credit. I also think that with the 2nd WC you will start to see more teams that even when selling, will still compete and be able to stay in it longer than usual. If the Yanks can stay 3 games out until the last series of the season with the Orioles you have to take it.

freddie vargas said...

Wow Yanks almost blew that one, Gardner saved the day. Cespedes comes up big again.

RN said...

Yankees are on a bit of roll, winning games you think they'll lose. The Gardner catch, then Mitchell, Severino and Clippard shutting out the high powered Blue Jays and then last night, Tyler Austin coming up big with the walk off.
Mets are rolling, they should continue stomping out these teams. Right now, not hosting the wild card game would be a disappointment.

freddie vargas said...

Yo where you been? I haven't heard from you after all these dramatic wins and I was beginning to worry that something was wrong, anyways good to here from you and yes Mets and Yanks are rolling, I was watching the game last night and caught Austin with the walk off.

Not sure you saw the entire game but the Yankees did caught a break that pissed me off being the Yankee hater that I am, did you saw the balk that was overturned in favor of the Yanks? I think it was in the 7th and it would had tied the game for TB but Girardi came out all pissed and had it overturned, I don't know what it is about Girardi but I seen him get similar calls overturned several times during the season, it was not fair and I'm just happy that it didn't happened to my Mets. The Yankees went on to win but that was a big call. With that being said that sweep of the Jays was big!

Mets just gotta win, man those Reds are awful, they gave those games away.

Unknown said...

Yeah, haven't had a chance to comment much. Well, another day and another win for both the Yankees and the Mets. What a turn of events for both teams, the Yankees with being sellers at the deadline and going with a bunch of kids and the Mets battling injury after injury.

I missed that play you were talking about but the Yankees, I believe, have the best rate of challenges. Whoever does their review does a great job.

Yeah, the Reds are a dumpster fire and the Mets have a bunch of other dumpster fires coming up over the next few weeks .

freddie vargas said...

Yea it's crazy what's going on right now with these 2 teams, they sure making things interesting when not too long ago we had them done.

That play i was talking about was not even a reply review and that's why I was pissed because when have you seen a balk ever be overturned? Even Michael Kay was in disbelief, what I'm saying is that the Yankees have had some calls like that go in their favor after Joe Girardi comes out on the field like a cry baby and gets his way, he just rubs me the wrong way.

Whoever the Reds manager is he will be fired at the end of the season, his players were just making mistake after mistakes, at one time Keith Hernandez said ""when are they going to bring out the dancing bear? "" he had me rolling.

Unknown said...

Well, I didn't see the play that you're talking about, I thought it was a review. I like Girardi and I think he's done an incredible job.
Yeah, who would have thought it, although I did keep telling you that the Mets would be a playoff team.

freddie vargas said...

Girardi is a good manager and the job he has done this year just proves it, but Joe is the biggest cry baby and to me comes off as a bit of a dick. Like I said he just rubs me the wrong way. Last night Michael Pineda needed 1 more out to get in 5 inning for the win but Girardi pulls him out with a 7-2 lead, that's a dick move.

You, like me, also said the Mets were done about 2 weeks ago.

Unknown said...

Yeah, you did manage to change my mind about the Mets but I held out for a while. My reasoning is the same, the NL is, other than the Cubs and I can't believe I'm about to say this the Nats (but I'm not convinced on them) trash. When I saw the Mets schedule in September and the teams they're chasing, is why I kept saying it.
Saw the Pineda thing, it turned out to be the right move. Pineda is the most frustrating pitcher I can recall. He can be brilliant and then at the drop of a hat it just all falls apart.

freddie vargas said...

Let's be honest, baseball as a whole is trash, the AL has nothing over the NL.

The Yanks were up 7-2, of course it turned out to be the right move. Girardi is the king of over managing.

Unknown said...

Where's the new update? I checked the blog out this morning but no new post.